Cragmor Construction Timeline


Cragmor Construction Timeline

1902: William Jackson Palmer donates 100 acres and $50,000 for sanatorium.

1903: Architect Thomas MacLaren commissioned to design the "Sun Palace" sanatorium.

1904: Sanatorium officially opens under direction of S. Edwin Solly. It consists of three large pavilions and several small cottages (accommodates twenty-five patients). Construction cost is $30,000. [Main building not constructed]

1906: November 19th: Dr. Solly dies.

1907: Restoration and improvements following vandalism and neglect.

1910: June 20th: Dr. Alexius M. Forster buys the Cragmor Sanatorium

1911: September: Architect George Edward Barton commissioned by Forster to design the central building.

1913: January: Owner incorporated (see list).

  • Board decides Barton’s design too costly.

  • January - February: MacLaren re-commissioned to design central building. MacLaren revises original design.

  • March: Bids received for construction of central building.

  • Board proposes budget not to exceed $80,000 and asks MacLaren to redesign at building that would be three stories high, capable of being added to.

1914: October: Construction of Cragmor Sanatorium three story central building completed.

1920: February: Fourth floor added, topped by roof garden.

1920: Five additional cottages built.

1926: Six additional cottages built.

1940 (est.): Sun Porches removed.

1940: Windows replaced on level 2, 3, and 4.

1960: Cragmor Manor Constructed and attached to Cragmor Sanatorium by breezeway.

1978: ADA and other code requirements stairway Northwest.

1982: ADA and other code requirements stairway Southeast.